Saturday, October 10, 2009

Results of using a tripod vs. monopod

Another great day photographing animals. This time, I used my new tripod (instead of a monopod). It forced me to stay put in one spot and compose my subject. It will take a bit getting use to because I am so use to moving around, catching a bird flying or a bee behind me. It is also giving me a good workout! But the images are much sharper and I felt that I had twice as many "keepers" as I normally would. For landscapes, this is the best setup I could ask for! For animals that are always moving and unpredictable, I'll probably miss a few shots, but I'd rather have quality instead of quantity.


Here are a couple shots from today...

Titled: A Couple of Redheads  
Red-Crested Pochard ducks
These little guys have soft fuzzy red feathers on their head that makes them look very comical when they are trying to out do one another. They like to hang out in little groups and sometimes you'll see them dive for food.














    
 

Titled: Checking Things Out
Ring-tailed Lemurs
One of my favorite subjects to photograph. With their magnificent long designer tails and brilliant yellow/orange eyes, you can't help but spend time watching them sunbath or huddle together.























Titled: Open Wide 
African Male Lion
This guy is my all-time favorite animal at the Park. I started taking photos of him a few years ago when he didn't have much of a mane (in fact, it looked more like a mohawk!) but he has grown to be a stunning creature.