Saturday, July 17, 2010

Telling a Story with your Photography - Before and After

I wanted to share with you how Nik Software can actually enhance the story that you're trying to tell with your photography. So many times, I have taken a shot that has something to say, but the image doesn't quit make it into my favorites. That is until I use Nik Software to help enhance the mood or emotion that I'm trying to convey to my viewers.

In this particular image, I was able to capture a sweet moment between the mother flamingo and her baby chick, but the image just didn't have that soft, moody effect that I was looking for. So here are the steps I took to enhance my image using Nik Software to get it to where it became a more endearing and tender moment.

Step 1: This is the original image. 

Step 2: Color Efex Pro 3.0 - Darken/Lighten Center to help darken the edges in a very natural vignette.


Step 3: Color Efex Pro 3.0 - Glamour Glow is used to soften the image and tone down the background. 

Step 4: Viveza 2 - Shadow Adjustment is used selectively with a Control Point on the baby chick's face to help remove some of the shadow.


Step 5: Sharpener Pro 3.0 - Just a little sharpening on the eyes for detail. This time, I used the Brush feature with Photoshop to paint just the eyes.

Remember... when you're out there shooting, be patient, keep both eyes open and be ready to capture the moment. Then take your image into your digital darkroom and enhance the emotion or effect you're trying to evoke with your image by using Nik Software for a happy ending.

If you have any images that you would like to share with before's and after's, we'd love to see them! Just post them on our Nik Software Group on Flicker . Also, I will be demonstrating "live" how I created this final image in my upcoming Critters and Creature Webinar .

--Laurie
Nik Software